Thursday 29 November 2012

Final Test and Evaluation of Learning.

Final test
I gave myself the final task of Advanced skills unit is the Running with purpose and in camera set. When I chose to practice animation skill in Advanced Skills Unit I expected to relate my practice to the group project which is called The Growing Planet.
The basic animation of the main character in the original animatic was walking down the ship, running away, run and chase the creature and some other slow and quite act, so I decided to test The Chase Running. Although the group changed idea a bit, we cut off all the running scenes but I still want to practice the shot.

So I break down how the chase running look-like:
- The head maybe turn around sometimes like looking for something. It leads to the upper body turn follow.
- The running slow down sometimes and faster sometimes.

However I have not accomplished my task. I have some problem when I tried to using Trax editor, then mess up the animation. I understand how Trax editor work basically and what the effect of it but I am lack of experiment and met some problems that I have not solve yet. For example:
- I made a clip of running within 13 frames. When the timeline run out of frame 13 the leg still cycling but the upper body keeps still. Then I can not make other animation on the same character that I think It suppose to able to do.
- After create character set I could see some keyframes I just add after made a clip on the timeline.
- After make a clip I couldn't fix the animation even in Graph editor that I think it suppose to be able to do.

So, I ended up with the test below.
I used different model in the test because I think it is similar to our group project character and I need to practice with different rig as well.



Evaluation

Before i started this unit, I had rarely using Maya and doing animation without understanding the theory. Create Walk and Run cycle is the fundamental skill that every animator have to learn so doing these animation gave me a great value to myself. I have been able to go into more detail of how the characters will move after breaking down the timing, spacing, weight, the movement of upper body and so on.

I didn't finish all of the tests, nor have done as many tests as I would like to but what I have done will be put into great practice. 
Now i believe have a better knowledge of doing it and feel i can do it well and  will be better with more practice. I think this unit has allowed me to gain a better knowledge and understanding of doing animation and using Maya. I would like to believe I could go into this profession when i leave Uni.




No comments:

Post a Comment